I went through the bill. I dare say it is school boyish, verbose and legalistic. No self respecting country will ever accept it. Like Zia ul Haq once did, rejected a $400 million aid calling it peanuts. The same should be done now. Time for Pakistan to say no more. Let the world know we have a back bone. Otherwise this seems to be the Waterloo of Mr. Zardari.
How could he even think Pakistan will ever accept such an aid offer with clauses put in by our neighbors lobbyists? Wonder if Mr. Zardari himself read it and has the attention span to do so, like we know Mr. Nawaz Sharif does not. It is failure of Governance, Diplomacy and Public Relations and our media.Diplomats never worked and Media attaches just enjoyed perks and postings. These are my views.
Pakistan can earn ten times more easily by developing Mykolachi like Disneyland or better for instance and attract tourism. On the contrary they are trying to allot that land to themselves. All you need to do isfix Law and Order and call the world's best architects to design something second to none. We already have the land. Just invest $200 million say and you will have something to attract people from Middle East and the world. People won't go to Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand but come here. Pakistan can earn Foreign exchange far greater than the Kerry Lugar Bill can ever offer.
Exploit our natural beauty...
We have the second tallest mountain in the world with umpteen number of beautiful places to see. Make them safe by day and night, any part, the world will flock to see Pakistan. But finish off the vested interests. Only a people's government can do it if it really is of the people, by the people and for the people. The benefits of development should accrue to the State and people of Pakistan and not just a few land lords or the moneyed class. The governments job is to give law and order in the country, rest follows. But for that dismantle the feudal system by making land reforms. Free people of Pakistan so that we harness their unlimited potential.
We can do it on our own... reject the aid!
Beggars are no choosers... bal mein bal apna bal... Depend on ourselves!
with a begging bowl. Remember beggars are no choosers. When you want money by all means conditions will apply. So forget it. Take the more honorable route. Have a policy of self reliance and foreign exchange conservation. Have development plans and implement them with sincerity.
Kerry-Lugar Bill passed by the Senate on Thursday, Sept 24, 2009. It will now go to the House of Representatives and if passed without amendments, will be sent to President Barack Obama for signing into law:
The problem is most of the people have spoken about it without reading the text of the bill so it is re-produced below. Please carefully read it. Made bold for convenience.
Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by Senate)
(2) EXCEPTION: Funds appropriated for security-related assistance for fiscal years 2010 through 2014 may be used for construction and related activities carried out pursuant to the Letters of Offer and Acceptance described in paragraph (1)
SEC. 204. PAKISTAN COUNTERINSURGENCY CAPABILITY FUND
(B) Amounts otherwise available to the Secretary of State to carry out this subsection
(C) RELATION TO OTHER AUTHORITIES: The authority to provide assistance under this subsection is in addition to any other authority to provide assistance to foreign countries
(D) NOTIFICATION: The Secretary of State shall, not less than 15 days prior to making transfers from the Fund under subparagraph (A), notify the appropriate congressional committees in writing of the details of any such transfer
(b) Submission of Notifications: Any notification required by this section may be submitted in classified or unclassified form, as necessary
(2) A general description of the specific programs, projects, and activities designed to achieve the purposes of section 101 and the respective funding levels for such programs, projects, and activities for fiscal years 2010 through 2014
(3) A plan for program monitoring, operations research, and impact evaluation research for assistance authorized under title I of this Act
(5) A description of the steps taken, or to be taken, to ensure assistance provided under this Act is not awarded to individuals or entities affiliated with terrorist organizations
(7) An analysis for the suitable replacement for existing Pakistani helicopters, including recommendations for sustainment and training